Women's Soccer

Two First Half Goals Lift Golden Eagles to Victory

Sept. 3, 2009

Box Score

Photo Gallery

MILWAUKEE - Behind two first-half goals from seniors Michelle Compty and Becky Ryan, the Marquette women's soccer team ended UW-Milwaukee's 24-game home unbeaten streak with a 2-0 shutout of the Panthers Thursday night at Englemann Field. With the win, the Golden Eagles improve to 3-1 overall. It is the first win for Marquette at Englemann Field since 2001.

"Our entire team really worked hard to get this victory. I am really proud of them," said head coach Markus Roeders. "We were very efficient in the first half in our play and the opportunities that we created and the way we finished chances. In the second half, we knew whom we were playing against. They came out extremely strong, but we made life extremely difficult for them. We are happy to walk way tonight with a shutout. It is a great night for us. For us to come out here, play the way we did and execute, we just want to get better and in some ways we did tonight."

Marquette scored its first goal in the 12th minute. The possession started with a Becky Ryan carrying the ball in UWM near the top of the penalty box before it before dishing it off to Brittany Bares. Bares raced to the end line and sent a cross in front of the goal mouth where Compty was positioned far post and knocked it in past Panther keeper Jamie Forbes.

"Brittany served a great ball in and I think Compty has been waiting for this for a long time. She is a senior and for her to have the game winner, she stepped up. She snuck in far post and tucked it away. That is the job she is supposed to do," said Roeders.

Marquette made it 2-0 about 18 minutes later at the 30:35 mark. Sloan, who on her previous possession wound up with a break away but couldn't convert the opportunity, beat two UWM defenders to control the ball and found Becky Ryan 16 yards in front of the goal. Ryan then took one step and rolled the ball through the Panthers's defense where it bounced off the far post and in.

Marquette outshot the Panthers, 9-4, in the first half, including 4-1 on goal. Kulla's lone save of the first came following a UWM corner that bounced around the middle and Kreuser's shot from five yards out was swallowed by the sophomore keeper.

The Golden Eagles continued its aggressive attack in the early in the second half, but Wis.-Milwaukee also was able to turn it on firing off 15 shots in the final 45-minute stanza.

Marquette had a chance to make it a three-goal lead when Ashley Bares headed it to Danielle Martens who then got taken down in the box resulting in a penalty kick. However, Forbes guessed right and dove to stop Martens shot.

Marquette's backline stayed strong throughout the game especially during the Panthers attempted comeback over the final 37 minutes where they launched 13 shots, including four in the final 2:30 of the game.

"Our defense has stepped up," said Roeders. It's not just those four in the back, Katie Miller, Ally Miller, Lauren Thut and Ally McBride, Natalie Kulla is back there in goal and organizes really well. If she has to come up big, we can rely on her to do so. It is a team effort, defending is a team effort. In the second half, Milwaukee came at us very strong. We lost our flow a little bit, we had to defend a little more and we chased the ball. They are a good team."

The Golden Eagles will close out play in the Inn at Saint Mary's Classic Sunday against No. 1/1/1 North Carolina on Sunday at Notre Dame, Ind.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned