Jan. 22, 2011
The Marquette University men's tennis team (0-1) opened the dual match portion of its 2010-11 campaign with a 6-1 loss at No. 33 Minnesota (1-0) Saturday night.
The Golden Gophers opened the match by claiming all three of the doubles matchups to move ahead 1-0. Minnesota posted quick wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions and held on for an 8-7 decision at the No. 1 spot over MU's Jonathan Schwerin
and Jose Manuel Munoz
Freshman Dan Mamalat was the lone Golden Eagle to claim a singles victory, downing Phillip Arndt 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3 position. Mamalat now owns eight singles wins on the year, the second-highest total on the team.
Marquette was without the services of sophomore Otavio Perim, who missed the match with an injury.
The Golden Eagles host IUPUI and Chicago State on Jan. 29 at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium to open a four-match homestand.
Marquette vs Minnesota (Jan 22, 2011)
#33 Minnesota 6, Marquette 1
Jan 22, 2011 at Minneapolis (Baseline Tennis Center)
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Jose Crowley (MARQ) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Jose Munoz (MARQ) 6-0, 6-2
3. Dan Mamalat (MARQ) def. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Jonathan Schwerin (MARQ) 6-3, 6-0
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Logon Collins (MARQ) 7-6 (6), 6-2
6. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Drake Kakar (MARQ) 6-3, 6-4
1. Sebastian Gallego/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Jonathan Schwerin/Jose Munoz (MARQ) 8-7 (3)
2. Rok Bonin/Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Thibault Troude/Jose Crowley (MARQ) 8-2
3. Brendan Ruddock/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Dan Mamalat/Logon Collins (MARQ) 8-4
Minnesota 1-0; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,2,3,6,1,5)