Sept. 3, 2011
Live Audio | | Game Notes (PDF)
MILWAUKEE -- The Marquette University men's soccer team will play for the Panther Invitational championship Sunday at Engelmann Stadium when the Golden Eagles (1-1-0) take on the Leathernecks of Western Illinois (0-2-1). Kickoff is set for noon CT.
Listen to this weekend's matches live via streaming audio on GoMarquette.com, courtesy of WMUR Marquette Radio. Live stats are also available through Gametracker.
- Marquette would be crowned 37th Panther Invitational champions with a victory over WIU Sunday in addition to a Western Michigan draw, or Milwaukee loss.
- Marquette is coming off a thrilling 3-2 double-overtime win over Western Michigan in the opening match of the Panther Invitational.
- Panther Invitational host Milwaukee blanked the Leathernecks 2-0 on Friday. Western Illinois is still looking for its first victory of the season after a 1-0 loss at Wisconsin to open the campaign, followed by a 1-1 against Drake.
- Milwaukee will face Western Michigan following Sunday's noon match up between Marquette and Western Illinois.
PANTHER INVITATIONAL - GAME 1 RECAP
- Andy Huftalin headed home the game-winner 13 seconds from full time. MU took a 2-0 lead on goals by Adam Lysak and C. Nortey
- The Broncos equalized on a pair of converted penalty kick opportunities in the second half, the latter of which came less than four minutes from the end of the regulation.
- This is Marquette's second appearance in the Panther Invitational. MU's only other appearance came back in 1976. MU's matches against WMU and WIU in this year's tournament are considered neutral-site games by the NCAA; however, the Golden Eagles will be the designated home side in both contests.
SCOUTING WESTERN ILLINOIS
- The Leathernecks return 19 players from last year's roster, including three second team all-conference selections in Mariano Leo, Andy Ryan and Kooten Johnson.
- Sunday's matinee will be a rubber match as the all-time series between Marquette and WIU is currently even at 5-5-1. MU played the Leathernecks to a 0-0 double-overtime draw last season in Macomb, Ill.
EXPERIENCED ROSTER RETURNS IN 2011
- For the second consecutive season Marquette returns 17 letterwinners and eight starting players, including 2010 All-BIG EAST Second Team selection Calum Mallace. Twenty three of the 27 players on the 2011 roster were on the squad dating back to this past spring.
ENGELMANN OLD STOMPING GROUNDS FOR MU STAFF
- Marquette head coach Louis Bennett and associate head coach Stan Anderson spent 10 years together coaching at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, their previous stop before heading to MU. Altogether, Bennett and Anderson made five NCAA tournament appearances in their time with time with the Panthers.
- MU assistant coach Steve Bode was a star defender for Milwaukee, patrolling the back line for the Panthers at Engelmann from 2003-2007. Bode is second all-time at Milwaukee in games started (83).
- Sunday's match vs. Western Illinois is the second of three straight matches the Golden Eagles will play at Engelmann Stadium. MU will travel back to the East Side this Friday, Sept. 9 for the annual Milwaukee Cup derby to take on crosstown rival University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.