Oct. 25, 2015
EL PASO, Texas -- Freshman Oliver Farrell's final round 68 (4-under-par) lifted him to a seventh-place finish at 8-under-par (72-68-68-208) and led Marquette in its fourth-place showing (281-275-284-840) at the Price's Give 'Em Five Invitational, hosted by UTEP at Butterfield Trail Golf Course.
The 54-hole score of 840 (24-under-par) was MU's best team score of the season and lowest event score since The Doc Gimmler Sept. 14-15, 2013 (838). Farrell, who was Marquette's leading scorer at 72.0 per round entering the weekend, posted his best career event - he's shot par or lower in six of his last eight rounds.
- Over the three-day event, MU made 176 pars, tied for second in the field.
- Senior Nick Nelson, who shot a final round 71 (1-under-par), finished a stroke behind Farrell and tying for eighth place at 7-under-par. Nelson's 209 (69-69-71) was his best career 54-hole score - his previous best was a medal-winning 210 at the 2013 Wendy's Kiawah Classic.
- Zach Gaugert finished tied for 20th (69-74-69-212; 4-under-par) and also shot a career-low tournament, topping the 215 he fired at the 2015 Erin Hills Intercollegiate. Gaugert has four sub-par rounds over his last six.
- Gaugert's final-round 69 (3-under-par) included four birdies and just one bogey.
- MU entered the final round in second place and one stroke behind leader Kansas, but the Jayhawks blistered the course and shot a 17-under-par 271 in the final round to pull away from the field and win the event with a 54-hole score of 826 (38-under-par).
- Nine of the 15 tournament teams shot under par for the event - 38 of the 84 players finished at par or better.
Marquette finishes the fall 2015 season at The Gifford Collegiate, hosted by LaCosta Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, California Nov. 2-4.
Marquette Team Scoring: 281-275-284-840 (-24)
7th - Oliver Farrell - 72-68-68-208
T8 - Nick Nelson - 69-69-71-209
T20 - Zach Gaugert - 69-74-69-212
T39 - Garrett Loomis - 72-69-76-217
T39 - Pat Sanchez - 71-69-77-217