Feb. 13, 2016
Box Score | Box Score (PDF)
Postgame Notes (PDF)
VIDEO: Highlights | Presser
MILWAUKEE - In a game that featured 13 ties and 10 lead changes, Marquette fell to Creighton, 65-62, on Saturday evening at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.
The Golden Eagles (16-10, 5-8 BIG EAST) led 62-60 on a Duane Wilson layup with 2:06 to play before James Milliken drilled a 3-pointer to give the Bluejays the lead for good with just over one minute remaining.
Isaiah Zierden connected on a pair of free throws for Creighton (17-9, 8-5 BIG EAST) with seven seconds left and Wilson missed a game-tying triple with three seconds on the clock.
Marquette has the week off before facing DePaul at All-State Arena on Saturday, Feb. 20.
- MU and Creighton matched up for the 81st time tonight. With the loss, the Golden Eagles fall to 49-32 in the series. However, MU has still claimed 22 of the past 30 meetings.
- After Creighton opened up a 15-5 lead in the early going, Marquette answered with a 12-0 run, led by Henry Ellenson who netted six points during the stretch.
- With his first assist of the night, Traci Carter moved into third place on the MU all-time freshman assists leaderboard, passing Marquette great, Glenn "Doc" Rivers (112).
- Creighton struggled from the floor throughout much of the first half, enduring scoreless droughts of 4:11 on 0-of-7 shooting, and 5:43 while shooting 0-of-8 from the floor.
- The Bluejays finished the first half shooting 11-of-35 (31.4%) from the floor, and 2-of-16 (12.5%) from the three-point line. MU and Creighton combined to shoot 3-of-24 (12.5%) from downtown in the first 20 minutes.
- Marquette was led in the first stanza by freshman Henry Ellenson, who tallied eight points while grabbing five boards. Duane Wilson also chipped in four points, three rebounds and an assist in the first half.
- Maurice Watson Jr. led the Bluejays in the first half, recording nine points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals. Cole Huff added six points and six boards to Creighton's first half efforts.
- After struggling from beyond-the-arc in the first half, MU and CU combined to make four consecutive treys to open the second half.
- MU entered the bonus with 7:07 remaining in regulation. However, from that point forward, the Golden Eagles attempted just two free throws.
- Four Golden Eagles eclipsed double-digit point totals in the matchup, which has now occurred in 18 of Marquette's 26 contests.
- Henry Ellenson led Marquette tonight with 16 points and eight rebounds, while adding two assists. The Rice Lake, Wisconsin, native is now just four rebounds short of tying Bo Ellis for most rebounds by an MU freshman.
- Maurice Watson Jr. led the Bluejays with 18 points, 10 assists and five rebounds. The double-double for Watson is his third of the season.
- Both squads improved their shooting in the second half, shooting a combined 28-of-54 (51.8%) from the field, and 9-of-19 (47.4%) from downtown.
- After starting the game 0-of-4 from the three-point line, James Milliken netted his first three of the game to give Creighton a 63-62 lead with 1:04 remaining.
- Creighton's transitional game was on full display, outscoring Marquette 22-6 on the fast break. The Bluejays' bench also had a strong showing, scoring 17 points, while MU's bench tallied eight.