Feb. 7, 2018
MILWAUKEE - Marquette University head men's soccer coach Louis Bennett and his staff have announced five signees for their 2018 recruiting class. Signing letters of intent was local product Alex Mirsberger and he is joined by freshmen Gabe Kash and Alec Wons, while junior transfers Oliver Posarelli and Leo Villa also join the program.
"We looked to strengthen the defensive side of our squad with this 2018 class, including the center back and goalkeeping positions, while adding a dynamic edge to our attack," Marquette head coach Louis Bennett said. "Adding strong competition in the midfield was a secondary goal that we've accomplished with this new class.
"This incoming group, along with the group that started in January of this year, will provide quality to our true freshman class, while enhancing our junior class with three total transfers."
Mirsberger, Kash and Wons all possess four seasons of eligibility upon arrival, while Posarelli and Villa have two seasons remaining.
2018 Recruiting Class
Leo Villa | Center Back | Green Bay, Wis.
- Transfer from UW-Parkside; started 31 of 32 games for the Rangers.
- Four-year letter winner at Green Bay East; Named Press-Gazette Media's Player of the Year in 2015.
- Played club for FC Wisconsin.
Comments from Coach Bennett: "Leo adds depth and competitiveness to the central defender position. He's strong in the tackle, quick and has big enthusiasm for work. Already joining the team this semester will help him adjust and learn before the start of his junior year in August. Adding another player to our junior class adds stability to that year as well."
Gabe Kash | Defender | Marshall, Ill.
- During his time with Sporting Kansas City, was named to the 2017 United Soccer Coaches Youth Boys All-Midwest Regional Team.
- Led his U14 St. Louis Scott Gallagher squad to the U14 National Premier League Championship in 2014
- Invited to U.S. Youth National Team camps in 2016 and called into the U16 Boys National Team in 2016.
Comments from Coach Bennett: "A player with huge potential and U.S. Youth National Team and MLS residency experience, allowing him to add competition and depth to the outside back position."
Alex Mirsberger | Midfield | Brookfield, Wis.
- Four-year letter winner at Brookfield Central High School.
- Served as team captain during his senior season.
- Earned All-State honors as a junior and All-State honorable mention as a senior.
- Helped the Lancers to a 2016 Sectional championship.
- Played club for Elm Grove Soccer Club/Elmbrook United; served as captain each of the past four years and led them to a state championship in 2017.
Comments from Coach Bennett: "One of the best mobile midfield players in the region. His range, energy and multi-purpose ability as a #6 or #8 gives us another dimension in midfield plus an added bonus of continuing the legacy of top local players on the squad."
Alec Wons | Goalkeeper | Leawood, Kan.
- Competed with Sporting KC Bob Gansler Academy for four years; Named Player of the Year in 2017.
- Invited to train in the preseason with the Swope Park Rangers (USL) in 2017 and 2018.
- Won a futsal national championship in 2017.
- Made it to the USSDA Quarterfinals in 2016.
Comments from Coach Bennett: "A goalkeeper with great dedication and work ethic that has collected a wealth of experience in his time with the very successful Sporting Kansas City MLS academy."
Oliver Posarelli | Center Back | Pisa, Italy | Montana State
- Attended Montana State University in Billings before transferring to Marquette.
- Earned First Team All-Conference honors in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference.
- Prior to college, attended Agli Angeli High School in his home country of Italy.
- Played club for Arzignano (Serie D) and A.C. Chievo Verona (U19 Serie A).
Comments from Coach Bennett: "Oliver is a proven central defender with strong instincts and great personality. He will bring maturity to our back line and we look forward to adding his experience and quality to the program."