March 8, 2018
Marquette Game Notes
The Marquette University men's basketball team (19-12, 9-9 BIG?EAST) continues play at the 2018 BIG EAST?Tournament presented by Jeep with quarterfinal action against No. 2/3 Villanova (25-4, 14-4 BIG EAST) on March 8 at 6 p.m. CT?from Madison Square Garden. FS1 will feature the national television broadcast, with Gus Johnson (play-by-play), Bill Raftery (analyst) and Lisa Byington (reporter) calling the action.
MU Continues BIG EAST?Tourney Streak
Since Marquette joined the BIG EAST Conference in 2005-06, MU is the only program to have reached at least the quarterfinals of the tournament every year.
The Golden Eagles have advanced to the semifinals twice (lost to Pittsburgh in 2007-08 and Georgetown in 2009-10) since joining the conference. Marquette is 11-12 all-time in its 13 previous appearances in the event, but has yet to play in the championship game.
Marquette has posted an overall record of 23-27 in league tourneys since joining the Midwestern Collegiate Conference (MCC) in 1989-90. MU was 0-2 in the MCC, 2-4 in the Great Midwest Conference and 10-9 in Conference USA.
Marquette and Villanova last met in the league tourney in 2015 and the Wildcats were able to post an 84-49 win.
Marquette Looking To Make Up Ground In Series
Villanova holds a 22-10 advantage over Marquette in an all-time series that dates back to 1960.
Along with regular season and tournament matchups in league play, the two teams also squared off in the 1963 National Invitation Tournament and the 1980 NCAA?Championship. Marquette downed the Wildcats 66-58 in the NIT, but fell 77-59 in the opening round of the NCAA's in Providence, R.I.
The Wildcats swept the home-and-home series in 2017-18, most recently defeating the Golden Eagles, 85-82, in the BMO Harris Bradley Center on Jan. 28, 2018. Guard Andrew Rowsey led the team with 29 points and MU?shot over 50 percent from the field, but VU's Jalen Brunson had 31 points of his own and the Wildcats escaped with the win.
News & Notes: Scoring Trio Key To Team Success
- At least one member of Marquette's top scoring trio of Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey and Sam Hauser has led the team in scoring in all but one game (Anim at Creighton on Feb. 17) this season and the players account for 68.0 percent of the team's offensive attack.
- Marquette is 119-196 all-time versus opponents ranked in the Associated Press Top-25 and 45-121 against programs ranked in the top-10 at the time of their meeting with the Golden Eagles. Tonight's game will be MU's sixth against a top-10 team in 2017-18.
- Marquette is one of the nation's top 3-pointing teams and with eight more treys on Wednesday night the team set a new single-season program record. MU now owns 343 makes from long distance, surpassing the previous record of 337 set in 2016-17.
- Guard Markus Howard scored just four points Wednesday night vs. DePaul and two of his three single-digit effort this year, two have come against the Blue Demons. He also scored just six points at Creighton, but left the game in the first half due to injury.
- With MU's 90-86 overtime victory at Georgetown on Feb. 26, the team is now 3-0 on the year in extra-session contests and 7-0 dating back to the start of the 2015-16 campaign.
- Of the team's losses in 2017-18, six have come to nationally ranked teams (19/21 Purdue, 6/6 Wichita State, 6/5 Xavier, 3/3 Villanova, 8/8 Xavier, and 1/1 Villanova - ranking at time of game). As of March 5, a total of five losses have come to teams (Villanova, Xavier, Purdue) currently ranked in the top-10.