Highlighted by the 2018 Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, Sept. 30 through Oct. 2, Marquette has finalized its 11-event 2018-19 men's golf season schedule.
Five fall team events, four in the spring semester, and a match against four-time defending American Athletic Conference champion South Florida (Feb. 9) comprise one of the most challenging schedules in program history.
"This year's schedule is undoubtedly the strongest in our history and much of that stems from the impact of Erin Hills," head coach Steve Bailey says. "Hosting at a US Open venue attracts elite teams and has allowed us to build a top tier schedule by trading out invitations."
Erin Hills, the site of the 117th US Open and the longest course in major championship history (7,722 yards), hosts Marquette's home event for the fifth time in six years. In last year's tournament, the Golden Eagles played for the first time as a ranked team, entering with a No. 22 Bushnell/GCAA Poll ranking.
MARQUETTE INTERCOLLEGIATE AT ERIN HILLS - SEPT. 30-OCT. 2
- MU posted its best finish (third place) in the Marquette Intercollegiate in 2017, while Austin Kendziorski was the first MU player to claim medalist honors in the five years of the event, sharing the top spot with Florida State's Harry Ellis.
- Five teams - Arizona State, Iowa, McNeese State, Minnesota and Utah - will make their first appearance at Erin Hills this fall. The Sun Devils finished No. 22 in the 2017-18 Golfstat rankings, highest in the Erin Hills field.
- Five returning squads fill out the 11-team field - Michigan State, Ole Miss, Northwestern, UC Davis and Wisconsin.
- Four Erin Hills teams played in NCAA regional action in 2018, while Arizona State and Northwestern advanced to the championship round.
- The Golden Eagles return to the Northern Intercollegiate at Rich Harvest Farms, site of the 2017 NCAA Championships, and the course where MU broke its school 54-hole scoring (832) and score versus par (32-under) last season. Oliver Farrell's co-medalist performance helped pace the Golden Eagles to the team victory.
- Marquette gets another opportunity in one of college golf's top events at the 27th annual Puerto Rico Classic, hosted by Purdue from Feb. 17-19. Past medalists at the PRC include Justin Thomas, Luke Donald, Lucas Glover, Matt Kuchar and Stewart Cink.
- The final fall event is the Chatham Hills Intercollegiate, hosted by Indiana Oct. 14-15, which includes a strong lineup of Big Ten schools.
- MU travels to Vanderbilt's Mason Rudolph Championship, April 5-7 outside of Nashville. The Commodores finished ninth in last year's NCAA stroke play championship.
- The Golden Eagles play for the second time during the spring in Arizona at the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational, April 12-13, in a field set to include nine NCAA teams from last season. Past winners of the Thunderbird Invitational include Jon Rahm, Paul Casey, Phil Mickelson and Corey Pavin.
Spring championship play begins April 26 at the 2019 BIG EAST Men's Golf Championships, set to be hosted by Callawassie Island G.C. for the sixth straight year as part of a deal that extends through 2022. Marquette is in search of its third team championship in five years - MU players (Matthew Bachmann - 2017, Hunter Eichhorn - 2018) have won the last two individual titles.