Feb. 15, 2014
Update (Feb. 24, 2014): Martin Alba added to 2014 recruiting class.
MILWAUKEE - Head coach Louis Bennett has announced the first three members of the Marquette University men's soccer program's 2014 recruiting class. Signing National Letters of Intent were standouts Andrija Novakovich (Muskego, Wis.), Danny Jarosz (Milwaukee, Wis.) and Colin Koerber (Sussex, Wis.).
Marquette's 2014 recruiting class marks the second straight top-15 recruiting class for the Golden Eagles, according to TopDrawerSoccer.com, which ranked this year's class as the No. 10 recruiting class in NCAA Division I, while Novakovich was regarded by some as the top available recruit in the nation.
"This recruiting class definitely amplifies the fact of the caliber and quality of not only the player, but more importantly, the team as a whole," said Bennett. "We are definitely pleased to have that attention."
Novakovich, the highest-ranked recruit in the history of MU soccer, has tallied four goals in 10 international appearances with the U.S. Soccer Under-17 and Under-18 national teams. Earlier this month, he played against Spain and Argentina with the U-18 national team at the Copa del Atlantico in the Canary Islands. The 6-foot-4 striker was named 2012 Gatorade Wisconsin State Player of the Year while recording 41 goals and 13 assists for Muskego High School and last spring netted 30 goals in 25 matches as a member of Chicago Magic PSG.
A 6-foot-3 defender, Jarosz helped lead Marquette University High School to a 62-3-5 overall record, two WIAA Division 1 state titles and three Greater Metro Conference championships as a three-year starter with the Hilltoppers. He was selected to play in the 2013 Fall Boys High School All-American Game this past December after earning Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Area Player of the Year honors and 2013 Greater Metro Conference Player of the Year. He has also played on three state championship teams as a member of the Bavarian Soccer Club.
Koerber was captain of the Arrowhead High School squad that advanced to the WIAA state semifinals in 2013, while also playing club soccer for SC Waukesha. He registered 15 goals and nine assists as a defender during his prep career, while the backline logged 14 shutouts during his tenure. Koerber was named to the Wisconsin Soccer Coaches Association All-State First-11 Team alongside Jarosz and earned Classic 8 Conference Player of the Year recognition and a spot on the NSCAA All-Region Team.
Andrija Novakovich | Forward | Muskego, Wis.
- Highest-ranked recruit in history of MU soccer
- Ranked No. 6 overall in the 2014 recruiting class by TopDrawerSoccer.com and No. 8 by College Soccer News
- Has tallied four goals in 10 international appearances with U.S. Soccer U-17 and U-18 national teams
- Registered 30 goals in 25 matches as a member of Chicago Magic PSG in U.S. Soccer Development Academy play
- 2012 Gatorade Wisconsin State Player of the Year while playing for Muskego High School. Led team with 41 goals and 13 assists in 2012.
- NSCAA All-Region and first team all-state
Danny Jarosz | Defender | Milwaukee, Wis.
- 2013 NSCAA All-Region
- 2013 Fall Boys High School All-American Game
- 2013 WSCA First-Team All-State
- 2013 First-Team Greater Metro Conference
- 2013 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Area Player of the Year.
- Three-year starter at Marquette University High School; led Hilltoppers to a 63-3-5 overall record and two Division 1 state titles
- Three-time Greater Metro Conference champions
- Three-time state champion (U-18) with the Bavarian Soccer Club
Colin Koerber | Defender | Sussex, Wis.
- NSCAA All-Region and NSCAA Senior Excellence Award
- 2013 WSCA All-State First-11 Team
- 2013 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel First-Team All-Area
- Classic 8 Conference Player of the Year
- Has scored 15 career goals and nine career assists, and helped backline post 14 shutouts in 75 career starts at Arrowhead High School
- Captained Arrowhead to the WIAA state semifinals in 2013. Also plays for SC Waukesha
Martin Alba | Midfielder | Chicago, Ill.
- Ranked among Top-100 recruits in the 2014 recruiting class by TopDrawerSoccer.com and College Soccer News
- Currently a central midfielder for the Chicago Fire Academy (U-18)
- Won 2011 Illinois State Cup and regional and national championships (USYSA) as a member of the Chicago Fire Juniors (U-15)
- Won 2010 Illinois State Cup and regional and national championship (USYSA) as a member of Eclipse Select (U-14)